Register | Login
Login
Sign in with:
---------- OR ----------
Create Account | Login
Create account
As a Member You Can:
  • Join clubs to discuss your interests
  • Connect with people like you
  • Share information, seek advice, get support

facebook logo    
parenting
in Mumbai (change city)
Select City
  • All
  • Delhi
  • New Delhi
  • Gurgaon
  • Noida
  • Mumbai
  • Pune
  • Banglore
  • Hyderabad
  • Ghaziabad
  • Chandigarh
  • Ahmedabad
  • Kolkata
  • Chennai
  • Coimbatore
  • Jaipur




Johnny and the Fairy
- Paromita Bhattacharjee

Little Johnny was feeling very lonely. It had been dark quite a while. Mama and Papa were yet to come home. They had called to say that some urgent work in office was delaying them and they would be late. Didi, the maid, was fast asleep.

Wandering aimlessly, Johnny went to the balcony. There he crouched in a corner and sat down, deciding to wait for his parents. He looked up at the sky. It was a clear night. The moon was round and shining bright. The sky was full of twinkling stars. His gaze went back to the m oon. He thought he saw something moving in the center of the moon, and then...

Suddenly the sky became very bright, almost dazzling white. Out came a fairy from the moon.

She was dressed in a white lacy gown and was wearing a silver crown on her head. The crown had a shining star at one end. She held her silver magic wand in her right hand.

The white fairy came right down to Johnny's balcony. She then asked Johnny, "What is your name, little boy?" Completely bewildered, Johnny somehow stammered his name to her, not sure whether she understood or not....

"My name is Angela. I am an angel and I live in heaven. I know that you are sad and lonely, so I have came to meet you," the fairy said.

Little Johnny was surprised. He wondered how the fairy knew that he was sad and missed his parents. However before he could question her, Angela said, "Let me sing a nursery rhyme to you."

Johnny, Johnny, yes papa,
Eating sugar, No papa,
Telling lies, NO Papa
Open your mouth and Ha! Ha! Ha!

Then Angela asked, "So Johnny, which is your favourite rhyme?" By now little Johnny was feeling quite comfortable with his new friend. He promptly replied, "Twinkle Twinkle little star!" and recited the rhyme to her.

The fairy then gave some chocolates to Johnny. Johnny got scared. He told Angela that Mummy will scold him if she knew that Johnny has eaten chocolates. Mummy says, "Chocolates will spoil your teeth!" "She is right," Angela replied, "After you have chocolates, and you should always brush your teeth. This will remove all the germs from your teeth." Convinced by the fairy's reasoning, Johnny took the chocolates from her. He was in two minds as to whether he should have them or not when he spotted his parents entering the society premises.

"Look Angela," he shouted, "There are my parents. Wait until they meet you. They will be so surprised!" said Johnny excitedly.

"No," sa id Angela. "I must leave now. Here is a small gift from me to a very nice child. Read this when you are depressed or lonely." So saying, she handed a packed gift to Johnny.

However Johnny was upset at the idea of Angela leaving. He asked, "Why do you want to go? We have just become friends!"

The white fairy sat next to Johnny. She explained, "Listen Johnny, now your parents have come home. You will no longe r be lonely. I will go now and be a good friend to some other child who is sad and lonely." Angela then waved to Johnny and flew off. Slowly she vanished in the darkness of the night.

The doorbell rang. Johnny ran gleefully to greet his parents and narrate to them the unusual incident that happened a little while ago. The parting gift of the fairy was still in his hand as a remembrance of the meeting.

Late that night, Johnny opened the gift from his new friend. It was a small book containing stori es of animals. He started reading it and slowly drifted off to sleep...



Back to Previous Page    More on Short Stories Index


Email this Article to a Friend

 
Follow us on:



Featured Articles - Infertility | Baby Development | Health and Fitness | How to Get Pregnant | Parenting Advice | Weight Loss | Pregnancy Advice | Name Numerology
Baby - Baby Photo Contest | Lucky Names | Lucky Birthdates | Horoscopes | Chinese Calendar | Compatibility Test | Fun Zone
Parenting - Message Boards | Planning a Baby | Pregnancy | Parents of Babies | Baby Names | Baby Name Poll | Birth Announcements | Parenting Quiz
Family - Cooking Club | Love & Relationships | Beauty Tips | Kids Weight Calculator | Recipe Maker
General - Calorie Counter | Personality Quiz | Love Signs | Compatibility Quiz